Wednesday, September 29, 2004
Racing is DANGEROUS...
Now that we're all freaked out, let's relax with a bit of levity...
Tuesday, September 28, 2004
Oh man...John's gettin' all philosophical on your @$$
- Happiness is a product of focus
- Focus comes from having a purpose
- Having a purpose comes from being needed
- Being needed comes from serving others
Monday, September 27, 2004
Yeah, I'm at work...but what's a quick Blog among friends?!
- Monday...back to work. I didn't get any breakfast and my stomach is grumblin'!
- One of my sales reps is going on & on about how he's found "gently used" suits for sale on eBay. He's talking about $1,000 Armani suits for $100 here...hmmmm...I suppose the bullet holes can be stitched up.
- I voiced a commercial for a Surfboard shop in California today! Cool Dude! ;)
Friday, September 24, 2004
Good thing my UNDERPANTS are FIREPROOF!
Up next: I'm off to the Mid Ohio Sports Car Course in Lexington, OH for the Sports Car Club of America's "Runoffs", the national championships for amateur road racers. You'll be able to check my report on Tuesday at AutoRacing1.com.
Monday, September 20, 2004
What the $#!& is a "Dell"???
Midwest Family Broadcast Group has a long running history of alcoholism apparently...and thanks to a free running tab at the bar, I've seen and heard things that normal, wool suit wearing conservatives would normally shy away from. Long story short, my company employs a lot of Horn Dogs!
Thursday, September 16, 2004
No no no...I wanted a drink in a tall glass with fruit!
My buddy Scott Adams is a personality on Hot 104 in Mobile, Alabama...right where Hurricane Ivan came to shore this morning. Here's his note to me (complete with California edits!)
What a crazy 24 hrs. I never want to hear anyone b!tch about Michigan weather ever again!!!!! Mobile is okay. Trees, and powerlines down. East side of town going to, and including pensacola is f*cked up bad. Our transmitter tower got snapped in half. It's in four pieces in a field and half buried in mud. We'll be off for awhile. We're not the only ones...country/WKSJ, urban/WBLX, Hot AC/WJXQ, and NBC TV affil. WPMI were all on the same tower. Anyhoo, gotta run....heard there's a Subway open running on generator, and a hot meal would be nice. Gotta go check on my house, too. Been at the radio station for the past 24 hrs. It's all good here. Got large generators that can go for days. So, we're able to keep the beer cold! :-)
This could be BIG TROUBLE!
Wednesday, September 15, 2004
9 True Things You May Not Know About Radio People: The Veil Of Secrecy Is Lifted
2. Evening DJs get propositioned more than any other air-shift, usually from under-age females. Being seduced by any of these little pixies is also known as “walking the jail-bait tightrope”.
3. “Rule of the Phones”: if she sounds sexy, more times than not, she isn’t. Generally, the ladies who call into Radio stations, in the hopes of luring the DJ into some kind of rendevouz, fall into one of these categories: 1) someone Richard Simmons should be praying next to 2) Stalkers or 3) 14 year-old Lolitas who are fully prepared to testify in court.
4. You can get on almost any Radio station to promote something if you bring the morning show food. Morning DJs lose all sense of propriety, right, and wrong when you offer them a cinnamon bun with enough icing to put a diabetic into a coma. Other sure-fire ways into the studio: pizza, subs, ribs (big in the South), donuts, and Starbucks.
5. You’re not crazy: Radio people really ARE weird. Seriously. Some of them are close to psychotic. Most probably fall into the middle: safely bizarre. Why? Nobody knows. The best we can figure, there is something about the mixture of power to control a medium and the ability to perform on it which attracts this one segment of society which could not possibly function within the confines of a standard, 9 - 5 job. Is it any wonder more and more health care plans in Radio now offer psychological benefits? Mmmm?
6. Yes, we really DO get fired as much as you’ve heard. Radio people get fired because formats change, because ratings go down, because Radio stations get sold, because of budget cuts, because of vendettas, because some drink too much and don’t show up for work, because some drink too much and DO show up for work, and because morals clauses in contracts are sometimes broken (Please see: Evening DJs).
7. You don’t want to see us in person. Really. We usually look: fatter, thinner, older, and younger than you thought. We never equal your imagination. We should be required to wear ski masks on all external outings - for the good of all humanity.
8. We’re pathetic whiners. Really. We bitch and moan about how hard it is to drag our butts out of bed at 3 A.M. just so we can sit on our ass for four hours and talk. Please.
9. We have a high divorce rate. Why? For starters we move around a lot. You should only marry someone in Radio if you either 1) have a personal U-Haul 2) have a relative in the moving business or 3) you have tiny little wheels surgically attached to the bottoms of your feet. Besides the moving problem, marriages and relationships of Radio people are constantly tested by fans who come on to them. (Please see: Evening DJs.)
- Looks like we're going to Gingerman on Thursday after work. I'm looking forward to that. Anytime I can get more seat time in the racecar it's a good day.
- Have you seen the George W. Bush billboards? They're great: "Boots Or Flip-Flops? Bush/Cheney '04" LOVE THAT!
- Why does chewing gum taste like such $#!t after just a few minutes? In this world of technology, you'd think someone could make the flavor last a couple hours.
Tuesday, September 14, 2004
How do you know when your wife is having an affair?? LOL I like how she must have had her head up off the hood. :)